Thursday 10 June 2010

Jerome Kerviel trial begins in Paris

The trial of 'rogue trader' Jerome Kerviel has got underway in Paris on Tuesday. Mr Kerviel is accused of losing his former bank Societe Generale around €4.5 billion ($5.36 billion) through unauthorized trades he made.

The firm says that Mr Kerviel made these trades without its knowledge and covered his tracks by inventing fictitious transactions.

However, the trader states that Societe Generale was aware of what he was doing and actively supported his actions until the deals became public knowledge, reports the Guardian.

"I was wrong and committed errors, faults even, but I was serious and efficient at work and the fact my bosses protected me and I was promoted during my short career shows this," he said in a recently-published book.

If he is found guilty, Mr Kerviel may be given a jail sentence of five years.

In 2008, Societe Generale was fined €4 million for its role in allowing the trading losses to take place.
 
Website Statistics mortgage payment calculator